Monday, May 2, 2011

Subversive Maps

Without a doubt, I am map-obsessed.  Anytime I go anywhere I haven't been before, I locate a map of the area and investigate the landscape thoroughly.  I occasionally also use Mapquest and GoogleEarth, but I love an old-fashioned paper map.  There is so much history and information about the social, economic and political landscapes embedded in maps, particularly if you look at how some maps of various parts of the world and universe have changed so dramatically over time.  Clearly, making maps and representing the world via maps is a political process.  The internet and computers have made 'mapping' more than just earthly terrain a fascinating topic.  Below I have posted a number of my favorite 'subversive maps'- maps that twist and stretch the perspectives and information by which we interpret our global and local landscapes. 

Maps of Global Populations (in terms of size, flows, genetics, geography, etc.)

Population - Volumes and Flows:






The Age of Discovery 1340-1600

Colonial Overseas Trade 1740

Immigration in the 19th Century 1800-1914


Human Migrations




Family Tree DNA

Global Paths


People Adrift : Refugees, Asylum Seekers, Displaced People




Refugee Source Countries

Trafficing of Women and Children USA Routes





Globlal Immigration and Migration


Map of Immigration




Map of Human TRafficing



Mapping Discourses in Illegal Migration



Invisible Trajectories in the IE






Technology Maps


Map of Internet


Trafficking Waste





 

City Maps/Historical Maps











Public Security and Military Maps


Maps of U.S. Military Bases






World Social Forum Action Map


3 comments:

  1. Hi Professor Barnes, Neilan, if that's OK [:)], I stumbled upon your blog while looking for material on subversive cartography. I am a doctoral student from India and really interested in the history of mapping, map making in relation to geopolitical processes including imperialism. I enjoyed your post a lot, and was wondering if you could point me to some more stuff that I can read on this...I mean I've got a lot of theoretical work that looks at cartography in general, but haven't been able to locate much on the counter-tradition of transgressive mapping. Would really appreciate your help...This is probably totally unprofessional to ask in manner as a blog comment, but I guess I got really enthusiastic upon reading your post! Thanks for a great read and these stunning maps here. Cheers! P

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I got your name wrong, so sorry, Nielan! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Paromita, my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I wish I had more information for you on subversive maps, however this was a very tangential line of thought I pursued after attending a session on subversive cartography at the University of Toronto in 2007. Below are some additional links that you mind find interesting- I wish I could be more helpful! best,
      Nielan

      http://makingmaps.net/2008/01/03/subversive-cartographies/

      http://urban-geography.org.uk/awards Toronto's Hidden Landscapes: The Subversive Cartography of Bill Bunge ...

      http://cartographicperspectives.org/index.php/journal/article/viewFile/cp68-denil/pdf

      http://www.museevirtuel-virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms/expositions-exhibitions/photos/html/en/index-html.html

      Delete